Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: File storage module concern

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Smith on
Hi simon,
I got your mail but I dont see your posting here . Why ?
We are trying to implement an intranet based on 3.4.5 openacs in an organization. These people use windows as their desktop clients.
They would be accessing the filestorage module of our intranet using IE and upload and download files. What happens now is if there is an virus affected desktop and a virus affected file is uploaded from that macine and downloaded to other machines then there is a problem .
What we are looking forward to is a yahoo style virus check mechanism where we can have the uploaded files checked for virus and inform the user that the file uploaded by him contains virus and will be deleted by the system and please upload a virus free file .
Regards.

========================= Simon wrote : Urm... well a virus can only do any harm if its actually run! I've never heard of a virus that sits in an unexecutable file and magically jumps to life
And even if so, why not just run a virus scan on the uploaded file? And, why am I talking about this I don't have a windows box???????? and OpenACS barely runs on it anyway.