Forum .LRN Q&A: External messages in Forums

Collapse
Posted by Mario Gomide on
Hi list!

I'm a little new with TCL and the OpenACS/.LRN structure, so I hope you people can help me out.

I have another system and I want to integrate it with .LRN somehow with the forums tool.

I use: dotLRN 2.1.3 and my Forums Applet is 1.1.2d6 (Forums Portlet 2.1.2)

So, what I finally want to do is described bellow:
My other system will generate some information that must be posted as a reply-message (or an edit-message) in the forum.

So, is there any way to create e new, reply or edit an existing message (post) automatically filling it with an external content (maybe via URL)?

Any idea is important!
Thanks a lot!

Mario Gomide

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Do a search for ns_httpget and see "Exercise 4: Tcl pages that query foreign servers" here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-171Fall2003/Assignments/detail/problem_set_1.htm

might be outdated, but it might give you some ideas.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Dear Mario, there is a fairly easy way to do it, it requires an upgrade though.

If you have the package acs-mail-lite from HEAD (version 5.4.0d1) you can use the callback for incoming_object_emails to write a quick callback for Forums, which will add a reply to the forum posting.

Then you have your external system send an e-mail to "$mailto:forum_message_id@yourserver.com"; where forum_message_id is the ID of the message you want to reply to.

As you are a little bit new to OpenACS, maybe it would be wiser though to wait for me to spend two hours to quickly writ e the callback for incoming forums. Should be done in two or three weeks.

Collapse
Posted by Mario Gomide on
Hello Malte!!

Good hearing from you! I really, really appreciate your help and I am very glad you proposed to write this callback.

But the thing is that my problem can't wait that much. So, if there is something I could try on my own while you work it out too, please guide me! :D

I was thinking of something like this:
My other application will have a link (.../forums/message-post?parent_id=XXXXX&textvar=text+content) to reply the previous message in the forum, and the URL content will fill the text area.
Only very few people (about 5 or 6) will be able to do this procedure. These people are reliable.

Thanks!
Mario Gomide

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Mario, obviously this is possible. Hope you will succeed with it and that it allows you to do what you want. All the best Malte