Forum OpenACS Development: Re: object_type and content_type

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on

We discussed this on IRC and ended up discussion the questions:

1. Should there be one callback for incoming emails OR should we separate out emails with an object_id TO address into a separate callback?
  2. Should the incoming email be matched against certain criteria and then dispatched to a specific callback implementation OR should the incoming email be given to all callback implementations in turn?

I believe the answer to question 2 may determine the answer to question 1 so I would like to address that first.

When should a callback implementation be determined before dispatching?

I would say a callback should only invoke one implementation when the event that it is representing is 'owned'. An obvious example is the 'openacs-bugs@openacs.org' example to post a bug to the OpenACS bug tracker. The incoming email is clearly owned by a single package instance.

Given that all packages that want to handle targetted emails of this kind have a limited namespace to play with - namely the TO address, subject line and email body - I would say it makes sense to have a scheme common to all packages which dispatches the email to an individual callback implementation.

When should a callback trigger all implementations?

I would say a callback should invoke all implementations when the event is not 'owned' by the handling code. An example might be a handler which scans the email for DNS blacklisted URLs. Clearly this code doesn't care who owns the email so it makes sense that this handler be invoked indescriminantly.

Conclusion

There are valid use cases for both types of callback - but that line of thinking is dangerous without actual use cases that someone wants to implement. Otherwise the logical conclusion is to add callbacks absolutely everywhere. So I would say we should decide what type of callback we are implementing and do it the appropriate way

As a final thought, if we decide we are implementing both then I think we should have two separate callbacks.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Talking about callback is not the right kind of abstraction for this problem. A callback is more of a implementation technique than a design technique.

A general solution for such kind of problems is a message redirector where a "message" is more or less a synonym for a method invocation. The MR is a generalization for problems where the usage of messages of some kinds cannot and should not be predetermined. For more information, see http://nm.wu-wien.ac.at/research/publications/mr.pdf

If there is interested we could arrange some discussions in the forthcoming .LRN/OpenACS workshop in Vienna, where we can discuss service contracts vs. callbacks vs. object request brokers vs. xotcl to get a better understanding where we could or should move to in the future.

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on
Gustaf,

I agree callbacks are an implementation technique - I was talking in terms of callbacks because their use was predetermined in Malte's proposal. If you would like to abstract my suggestions you should simply read it and replace each instance of the word 'callback' with the words 'message handler'.

The discussion of 'service contracts vs. callbacks vs. object request brokers vs. xotcl' is an escalation to a much more general problem and probably won't help Malte very much in a practical or short term sense.

I notice that the document you linked presupposes an object oriented methodology - whilst object orientation has a lot of popular support in the community I don't believe there have been any concrete proposals of how to map the functionality of OpenACS to an object oriented design. Nor have there been any discussions of how we might resource such a conversion or what timescales we might aim for. I think it is unreasonable to prevent Malte from introducing a very useful capability because we haven't decided whether to switch the whole of OpenACS to an object-oriented paradigm.

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on

Gustaf,

Having read the MR proposal it appears to suggest that the incoming email subsystem should:

1. accept and email (message) of any kind
  2. inspect the email (message) to determine which handler should be invoked
  3. invoke the handler and provide to the handler the message itself and all information about how it was received

Admittedly the proposal seems to allow for message types to be extended but I think in this case an email is pretty fixed and well defined.

Other than Malte's proposal being more detailed and specific, how does the MR proposal differ from the callback implementation?

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Lee,

just a short answer (i am currently in the alps skiing).
it looks to me that we have two different kinds of problems to solve:

a) how to dispatch certain messages to different kind of consumers (e.g. packages, or acs-objects) and

b) how to address certain services via email. This is a typical remoting problem,

it makes certainly sense to think about the more general problem. In the best of all possible worlds, i would like to see a dispatch mechanim, that is able to handle dispatch via URLs (request processor), dispatch via SOAP, and dispatch via email (and maybe different interfaces). all these dispatch mechanisms require similar services, like permission management or package resolving, etc...

I can't offer a detailed design, but i think its worth to think more on the architetural level, which offers various patterns for such kind of problems. we will try to prepare something in this direction for our workshop...

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I think we should think about a general mechanism, that is for sure. That should not stop us though from using the callbacks in the meantime. OpenACS is an evolving product. No need to get it perfect right from the beginning. As long as we are aware that we should think about things and that the current implementations are bound to change, I am fine.

I am not fine with long discussions that prevent the immediate work because we say "we need to get the design absolutely right from the beginning". Code is cheap. And it is not like the callback mechanism does us much harm.

So yes, we should have a workshop and discuss the issues, but no, we should not wait for the outcome of it.

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on
Gustaf: I agree that a request processor mechanism which handles all types of request (not just URLs via HTTP) might be nice. Although I would like to see us be explicit about the differences between these channels of interaction, not just the similarities.

Malte: I agree that this architectural thinking should not stop work which you are clearly willing to do in the immediate future. I don't think an architectural change should affect current work until it has been proposed, demonstrated, agreed and resourced (usually in that order).

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on
Malte,

Assuming that the callback implementation will go ahead, I would re-iterate that the callback seems to be dispatching the message to a particular handler (its owner) - and therefore I think it is best to have a predetermined scheme for addressing the owner. Which then results in only one implementation being called. Unless, of course, you can think of a plausible use case in which several message types need to be handled by a mixture of several handlers.

As Gustaf points out, the principle function of the callback is a message dispatcher and can be thought of as similar to the request processor. The scheme for decoding the message (URL or email address/subject/body) should be the same regardless of the handler.

This contrasts with the 'DNS blacklisted URLs' handler example above in which the callback implementation is acting not as a dispatcher, but as a filter.