Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Improving forums package usability

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Roberto's modification is a really good step towards making OpenACS more W3C-friendly. We should move entirely towards URLs that don't have form variables when those aren't needed.

In general, our URLs for fetching single pieces of data (one message, one FAQ, one news item, one blog entry) should be of the form /package_name/view/{id}

This is good for bookmarking, emailing URLs, indexing, etc... and it's really easy to do with .vuh files. I don't think this is so much an added feature as much as a replacement for the old clunky URLs.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Here's a utility proc that I had lying around for automatically generating a version of a text that is suitable for usage in a URL. It transforms e.g. "Foo Bar" to "foo-bar". I tried to add some automatic numbering so that it can be passed a list of existing URL's so that it can generate foo-bar-2 if there is already a foo-bar URL present to avoid collisions.

It might be useful to optionally create the URL automatically, so that the admin does not have to insert a short name manually every time when creating a new forum.

https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/patch?patch%5fnumber=3