Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN dissemination at FLOSSIC

Collapse
Posted by Olga C. Santos on
Hi,

next month I'm presenting at FLOSS International Conference (Jerez, Spain - March 7-9, 2007) two papers regarding the usage of .LRN at UNED. The first one presents the two different use cases taking place in this University, Exploitation (Innova Section) and Research (aDeNu Group), and the second one the on-going works of aDeNu group in ALPE research project where .LRN is used.

1) Why Using dotLRN? UNED use cases (available in English)
Abstract: UNED uses dotLRN learning management system (LMS) in two different scopes i) Exploitation and ii) Research due to the integration capabilities, adaptivity, reusability and accessibility support. The paper introduces the main features of OpenACS/dotLRN architecture and provides an historical overview of the usage of dotLRN in Innova (exploitation) and aDeNu (research) groups. It details the reasons why OpenACS/dotLRN was chosen in both groups and presents a comparison among dotLRN and other LMS, with special emphasis on Moodle (the most commonly used open source LMS) to show their pros and cons. The paper describes how it is being used in each group and what contributions have been done to the community so far.

2) Reusable and Accessible courses upon ALPE platform (available in Spanish)
Abstract: ALPE learning platform, developed on top of dotLRN open source learning management system, facilitates 1) the reusability of contents and 2) the accessibility to the information access and the interaction with the interface. In more detail, ALPE consists on an accessible (according to W3C WAI guidelines) and multilingual learning environment based on educational standards (SCORM, IMS-CP, IMS-QTI, IMS-MD and IMS-LD). To facilitate the development of courses in an accessible way, a methodology has been develop to create courses from their conceptual design to the uploading of the instructional desgin package to the platform.

Apart from the dissemination of .LRN, I hope you can find useful the compilation work done in these two papers.

Olga

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hello Olga! I have read the second paper and I find very interesting the initiative. To the professors of our university it could interest them to receive formation on the realization of accessible courses in format SCORM. If you are interested in please imparting it you contact us. Greetings
Collapse
Posted by Olga Revilla on
Hi,

this is Olga Revilla, student at the Cataluña Politechnics University in Spain and I have carried out a first aproximation to the accesibility status of three packages of dotLRN (IMS-LD, Assesments and LORS). I have used the WCAG 1.0 and UAAG 1.0 from the W3C. I will also show it at the FLOSSIC conference next week. You can read my paper at this link (1). I hope you find it interesting and useful to improve dotLRN.

Best regards,
Olga Revilla.

(1) http://www.loba.es/~flossic/Contenidos/actas/accessibility.pdf

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Good timing Olga. We will use these test results for the .LRN Zen project this coming week (starting with Assessment). Thanks for posting.
Collapse
Posted by Jose Pablo Escobedo Del Cid on
Thanks Olga!

We will use your evaluation for the next versions of the IMS-LD player.

Regards,

Jose Pablo