Forum OpenACS Development: Idea for review

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Have been considering an idea for an ACS module and am interested in comments from the community.

I am aware that there is in development a module designed to sell services or events rather than physical products. I wondered whether there would be merit in developing a mechanism of structure to allow for seat or space sales at specific venues.

My initial thoughts:

1) The module would provide the facility for users to set up/ enter venues, thus building a database of venues. In this way over time many public venues would be mapped in the system.

2) Each venue could be defined as have 'n' levels.

3) Each level would be defined as having 'n1' blocks or areas.

4) Each block or area would be either free space (with a max capacity) or seated and defined by x seats and y rows.

5) Specific seats or blocks or levels could have one of the the following properties - available, restricted view, unavailable, (any others that anyone can think of).

6) System would print tickets and take the money using the credit card transaction systems supported by ACS service contracts.

This would enable any community (i.e. amateur dramatics groups, employee recreation groups, schools, colleges, universities and even commercial fringe theatre companies) to sell tickets online for their productions. All they would need to do is register the organisation, map the venue (which mapping would be available in the database for the benefit of other groups and communities), set up payment details and set ticket prices.

Furthermore the system would be ideal for other events, such as charity balls (table plans), trade shows, car boot sales and other public events.

What do you think?

Regards Richard

Collapse
2: Re: Idea for review (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Deseretbook.com, who uses ACS and AOLserver, has implemented such system about a year and a half ago (if memory serves right). They presented about it in our LUG back when it was in beta.

They use a pretty clever system that lets the use print the ticket right from his browser. The ticket has a bar code, and at the venue entrance, laptops equipped with bar code readers scan the ticket. You are free to print the tickets as many times as you want and give it to your friends, but whoever gets to the venue first will be the one to get in 😊

You can see it in action at http://deseretbook.com/tickets/.

The deseretbook.com staff also wrote an ecommerce system for ACS 4.2 (Oracle), which I've asked them to open source, and apparently management said yes, but I haven't heard back from Michael (Cleverly, who works at deseretbook.com) about it.

It would be nice to see the code for their ticket system open sourced as well. It probably does what you're looking for and more.

/me waits for Michael to chime in 😊

Collapse
3: Re: Idea for review (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
Michael Stieman and I are already working on an events module (as you mentioned), and will hopefully release it very soon. We are not initially releasing the pricing functionality, but it is in the data model (much of which was carried over from the openacs 3.x module), so that wouldn't be a hard addition. regarding your points

1) our module will have the ability to allow users to add venues - all you need to do is give them permission to do so.

2, 3, 4, 5) none of this is accounted for - though integrating with survey will likely help in providing this functionality (this integration is already in the works). Having survey provide service contracts will be happening in the next months...

6) i don't know anything about this.

The changes/additions you want are very substantial... so i'm not sure if you would like to base it on our module or not... but once it is release you are free to do so...

Collapse
4: Re: Idea for review (response to 1)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Thanks for the replies.

The idea is just that, an idea, not a specific requirement of any kind. I just thought it would make a nice addition o the module library.

Sounds like Michael Cleverly has already done it - which must mean it was one of my better ideas!

Regards Richard

Collapse
5: Re: Idea for review (response to 1)
Posted by Lachlan Myers on
Any thoughts on whether/ when/ how it might be made available to the wider community?