Forum OpenACS Development: Re: content_symlink restricted to a content_folder parent

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Til,

Is one way of doing it, which I am thinking of doing too.  Although I am just puzzled why Karl G designed it this way.  I don't want to jump to that route too fast, we may be missing something that Karl G has thought of.

So far what I can think of are:

1. so when we get the relative path on CR we will not end up with /content_folder/content_item/content_symlink.  That will make content_folder irrelevant since content_item can be in a non leaf path.

2. content_symlink name might get duplicates since its not a child of content_folder which enforces a constraint that name must be unique.

So far that is all the good reason I can think of why Karl G is wanted to make content folder as the parent of content_symlink.  I am basing those from the code of content_symlink__new.

If no one else posts then I guess I can rest my mind.

Jun,

I am afraid I don't understand exactly what you mean - just a few remarks:

2) A unique name is enforced for children of all kinds of items, not only children of content_folder.

A general rule seems to be to organise page items (those that more or less represent a page) beneath folders, and make items that resemble components of a page direct children of an item.

I wouldn't make page items direct children of other page items, that just doesn't seem to be the intended way. Unfortunately I'm not able to think of any concrete benefits, except from the flexibility you gain when using the folder / index page concept, which allows you for example to move an index page somewhere else or delete it without affecting the URL of it's subpages.