Forum OpenACS Development: XINHA / HTMLAREA for uploading Images

One thing on working with webbased HTML-Editors like XINHA or HTMLArea is still, that if one wants to add an image, the image has to be uploaded with the built in File Manager first. Afterward it can be selected to display it.

This has 2 disadvantages:
1. Teachers work usually in a different way when creating teaching material:
In teaching lessons very often Screenshots are integrated in such Textarea-Fields, which means you have to save the image first with your favorite screenshot tool (ie. Screenprint32, or others) to disk and then upload it into the web with the Editor's File Manager. Therefore you have to think about file names and many clicks before you have your images in place. Teachers are not very used of doing this in this way because they use Word where pasting screenshots is no issue.

2. Time consuming and many clicks

So I was thinking, if it is possible to paste the screenshot directly into the HTML-Area, which creates an img src="file:///..." link to the local temporary file. When clicking ok, it should be possible to parse the tags to take this image rename and copy it to the correct location, so it is where the Webserver looks for it, when displaying the page.

Should be working nicely with xowiki AND no user has to change his/her working habit.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
The javascript can't go onto the users hard drive to find the file, afaik.

I created a one step image upload process for this problem. You can activate the OacsAttach plugin from HEAD or oacs-5-3 acs-templating to try it out.

Collapse
Posted by Christian Fuchs on
Thanks, I think this would be a must have add-on to xowiki. Enduser life would be much easier.