Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Emoticons for forums?

Collapse
6: Re: Emoticons for forums? (response to 1)
Posted by Frank N. on

I went looking for emoticon graphics as late as yesterday, when considering the functionality of the OACS. Here are a few links. It seems it is the same icons, that are used repeatedly all over the place, but don't ask me what license they are covered by, if any. (Compulsory smiley.)

www.plauder-smilies.de
www.cybergifs.com/faces/indexr1.html

My idea was to select a nice subset of the 15x15 emoticons, and tag the HTML with width and height tags. Most bboard software I have seen use straight smiley-to-graphics conversion for the simple types, and the format for the more complex ones are, say, :frown: etc.

Frank.

Collapse
7: Re: Emoticons for forums? (response to 6)
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Frank, thanks for the links - unfortunately I have already added the icons from gaim for now, because they seem to be most complete and homogenous, although maybe a little too large for some layouts (19x19 png's). If you have time to wade through those sites, make sure that the copyright is ok and put together a collection of some smaller smileys, go ahead 😉

(but please no animated ones - that's over the top IMHO)

The patch is here: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/patch?patch_number=4

The tcl command 'string map' is very useful indeed for this purpose. Currently the code does simply replace _all_ occurences of smiley patterns with the corresponding img tags - I wonder if there are going to be collisions with text that is not intended as emoticon, e.g. stuff inside of html tags. I left out the more likely patterns such as :) and :( to be a bit safer here.

Collapse
8: Re: Emoticons for forums? (response to 7)
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Yes, there are often collisions (at least with us techheads) in Trillian.  Try pasting complicated SQL or Tcl code into a Trillian window sometime.  It is entertaining for a brief period until you realize you can no longer figure out what the code does because the smileys are in the way. 😊