Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Strange Crash in OpenACS: ns_rand

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Dave, my statcksize is set to 500000.  Does it need to be any bigger than that?

Janine, I'm going to try an install on redhat 8, and see if I can get it to work there.  Speaking of redhat, has anyone installed oracle on redhat 8?

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Dan,

I have installed Oracle8i on RH 8.  You will need RH 7.3 (in particular disk 2) for the compat libs to RH 6.2.  RH 8 does not have the compat libs anymore.  So you can use 8i on RH 8.  Works ok on OpenACS and CCM.  I have also renamed the ctxhx0 to ctxhx... works ok.

I can email you later the compat libs listing (rpm -qa | grep compat) that I have installed in case you want them.

Do you think 4.7 will make use of 9i?  The only reason that I am sticking to 8i right now is because of OpenACS.

Oh yeah... in case you are using JDBC, the lastest downloadable drivers in Oracle classes12.zip does not seem to work.  So I use thin mode or if I use oci8 I use an older version.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Thanks for the tip Jun, it looks like the install docs which refer to redhat 7.3 can also be applied to redhat 8.0.  Once I installed the compat libs the installer started working correctly.  I haven't quite finished the install, but when I'm done, I'll update the install docs to add a note about installing with redhat 8.

As far as oracle 9, there were some past discussions about using oracle 9 with openacs 4.  I think there are still some issues with regards to running oracle 9 with openacs 4.  If there are still any issues left, I think we should think about rectifying them for the 4.7 release.