Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Redhat 8.0

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Dan,

Setting the Oracle profile with the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL plus putting it on nsd script should work ok.  Normally what I do is that I set the ORACLE_* and LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and run glibc21-linux-env.sh.  Putting those on init.d/oracle8i or init.d/listener8i wont be much use. Since if you have set oracle user to have the proper env it should pick that up.  Or if I have a user that I want to use any Oracle stuff like nsadmin using sqlplus I set the prover ORACLE_*, LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and glibc21-linux-env.sh.

Janine,

Its interesting that you only need to set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL if you have the Oracle stubs patch.  I have never tried that even though I have the Oracle stubs patch.  If this is true then its a good thing.  Red Hat 8.0 does not any more have the compat libs.  I had to use the rpms from RH 7.3

In my next install I will try not to have any compat libs.  Anyway I am glad that Oracle8i and RH8 works ok for both OpenACS and CCM.  Oh yeah its seems that the latest JDBC drivers that can be downloaded in OTN does not work in oci8 mode... I had to use thin.  It seems others are experiencing this problem too.  The older drivers works fine on oci8 or thin mode.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
I finally had chance to verify this, and I found that just putting the export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL statement in the nsd-oracle script was sufficient for Redhat 8.0.  Now as soon as I get the docbook tools setup (could editing the documentation be made any more difficult?), I'll modify the install docs.