Forum OpenACS Q&A: Hosed the super user account

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I think I screwed up.

I now have a new install of OpenACS running (it should be live pretty soon, so then I'll publicize it).

I added the site-wide account when starting up.

When I was playing around, I created a second user account.

I think I then deleted the site-wide user account, because my account doesn't have permission to go to /admin or /acs-admin

Okay, so I can get to psql, but I don't know what tables to change to give myself site-wide permissions again.

I searched and couldn't find it. Help please! :)

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
From psql do 'select acs_permission__grant_permission(0,user_id,'admin')'  This will give you root access again.
Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
Someone should make a "things not to do unless you really like playing with psql" list, and what to do if you've done them.  This is one I've seen, along with accidentally revoking read permissions to the public on the root folder id, since it means you can't even log in once you log out.  (THAT one I've seen twice!)

One of the amusing bits of hosting lots of people setting up OpenACS is that I'm starting to accumulate a bit of a list of ways to hose things.  Maybe its time to post the list somewhere.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Cathy,

You can send me those and I will put it in on my "Things 2 Remember List".  I will add a section.  Things that you should not do... maybe offer a solution on the detailed text. :)

Collapse
Posted by Branimir Dolicki on
The fact that OpenACS allows you to use the web interface to leave the system in a state that can be reverted only with psql is a bug, IMHO. Fixing the bug is better than writing instructions on how to avoid it.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I entered this in the bug tracker; it is bug #39, I believe.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I tried this, and it doesn't seem to work.

I was changing some things in the admin pages. Is it possible that I took away the permissions to the site-wide-admin account to administrer the /admin and /acs-admin pages? Is that even possible?

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
What do you get when you do 'select * from acs_permissions;' ?
Collapse
Posted by Vadim Makarov on
A list is good, but checks that request additional confirmation on such actons or just return an error message with explanation are better (and don't require reading the list).
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I have fixed this in CVS (oacs-4-6, will try to merge to HEAD now).

-Roberto