Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS 4.6 Install Doc Changes

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
when you say /usr/lib/tcl8.3 are you referring to a directory? Where is the tclConfig.sh file located relative to that directory?

Yup - /usr/lib/tcl8.3 is a directory and tclConfig.sh is inside it (/usr/lib/tcl8.3/tclConfig.sh)

For now, if you could put a comment about using the --with-tcl flag, I would appreciate it.

Will do.

The openfts-driver package still uses the openfts_tcl_src_path parameter, so it stays.

When I installed 0.3.1, I forgot to update the parameter but the installation still worked and searching seemed to work fine, so I thought it was no longer needed. Maybe I was just lucky? I'll update the docs to make sure that the user updates the parameter then.

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
If you untarred openfts in the /usr/local directory, then I think you would get lucky.

I looked at the m4 macro for finding the tclConfig.sh file, and it doesn't look in /usr/lib anything.  Basically it does the following:

1. Checks for --with-tcl and uses that if set.
2. Checks the following for a private tcl install:

../tcl
'ls -dr ../tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]]* 2>/dev/null`
../../tcl \
`ls -dr ../../tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]]* 2>/dev/null`
../../../tcl
`ls -dr ../../../tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]]* 2>/dev/null`

(it's just walking up the directory tree looking for a plain or versioned tcl dir)

3. Then it checks a few common locations:

/usr/local/lib

and

${prefix}/lib

4. Checks relative to ${srcdir}

${srcdir}/../tcl

and

'ls -dr ${srcdir}/../tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]]* 2>/dev/null`

If it's not found, exit with error.

I'll look around and see if there is a more up to date version of the tcl.m4 macro file that includes things like /usr/lib and so forth.  It doesn't look to hard to fix, so I'll modify it if I can't find a new macro file that works.

Anybody else have a different install directory (standard for other distros like suse, mandrake, etc.)?