Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Proposal: Removal of unnecessary custom permissions

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I definitely think both an audit of the toolkit to check that permissioning is being done properly and a cleanup of some of the permissions that are too fine grained is a good idea.

That said, we need to excercise some care that in the process we don't turn OpenACS into a toolkit that is only suitable for small organizations. Leaving aside the fact that the admin pages shouldn't really be in admin (which is what prevents having news_admin actually work as expected), I can certainly see a larger site wanting to allow someone to admin all instances of news in a subsite but being unable to grant them admin on the subsite.

I think you want the permissioning granularity to be pretty fine since going from fine -> coarse is a matter of changing some data (permissions inheritance etc) but going the other way means changing code. You don't want to say to a large site that needs fine grained permissions that you are going to have to change code in most of the packages to support their needs. Not to mention that doing this adds some appreciable risk that you get it wrong.

I don't really find the custom permissions to be a big problem from a development standpoint, and for a small site granting base permissions (admin, read, etc) on the root generally works as you would expect.

The real issue is the UI for permissioning and browsing permissions is a huge trainwreck. I suspect if we spent a little time on this we would collectively feel much less inclined to remove quite so many of the permissions as we are now.