Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Proposal: Removal of unnecessary custom permissions

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
So the use-case for keeping news_admin, forums_admin, etc. is that "someone might want to grant admin on all instances of the forums package under some site node," is that it?

In other words, granting privileges based on the package type.

May I suggest two alternative implementations:

1) Add a column 'package_type' to acs_permissions, so you can say that "when I grant this 'read' permission, it's only meant to work on packages of this type." That's a much better model for the problem at hand.

2) Build a UI to do granting/revoking of those privileges for specific package types. If the use-case is uncommon enough, I think it's a much better solution than burdening the rest of the world with all those privileges.

But I don't believe in the use-case. Can we see a show of hands from people who are actively working on real-world in-use systems, where the use-case above is a real requirement coming from real users of the system?

If such people do exist, I'd very much like to hear the details of their requirements and user story.

And if it turns out that the use-case is indeed fairly common and legitimate (i.e., not just a bad solution to a problem that has an obviously better solution), I'll bow for the facts. 😊

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Alex the Dog on
<blockquote> But I don't believe in the use-case.
</blockquote>

Sharenet people, speak up!

A.