Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Swedish translation norms

Collapse
Posted by Håkan Ståby on
Hi again!
I would translate e-mail to "e-post"(e-posta). I totally agree with you on "mejl" and such wordings. Terrible! 😉 Personally I use the word e-mail in swedish as well.

It is rather difficult to translate new words like e-mail and web. I have a friend who says "väv" for web and "vävsida" for web page. I would however not go that far if I were to translate the word(s) web page. The alternatives are "webbsida", "nätsida" or "vävsida", to me none of them is the obvious "correct" answer. MS use the word "webbsida".

To use the dictionary helps to get up speed when translating and decreases the amount of errors. Though the context sometimes turns out wrong, it is a good way to start out.

If you need my contribution to the translation I am happy to help out.

I was thinking about de-personalization of words during the weekend and I think that a certain degree of personalization would be beneficial. (Of course the translation should not sound unnatural.) I find two reasons for this:
1. If the link says My it means that these are my settings or my space and nobody else's.
2. Since this is collaboration software it gets stronger with every user. If you can give the user a feeling of belonging to the online community by addressing him or her in words I think it would increase the will to use and be a part of the community.

What do you think?

/Håkan