Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Error: return: failed to redirect '404': exceeded recursion limit of 3

Seems like something in the configuration file is not set the way it should. Do you have set the parameter enabletclpages to On? Adp parser set to 'fancy'?

Something comparable to that:

ns_section "ns/server/${servername}"
ns_param  enabletclpages  On

ns_section "ns/server/${servername}/adp"
ns_param  map            "/*.adp"  ;# Extensions to parse as ADP's.
ns_param  DefaultParser  fancy

I don't know the installation instructions for 4.5 but I would guess there is an example configuration file for aolserver somewhere.

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Thanks. Added the enabletclpages to my config and set it to TRUE. The adp configuration params you sent were already set as such in my config.

Now the tcl page gives an error "The requested url cannot be accessed due to a system error on this server."

The adp page still shows html content and @some-variable@ tags.

My biggest worry is that I still get "page not found" when loading the default/root URL for OACS on my server. There is no "index.*" there. Should there be?! What am I  missing from the OACS 4.5 install doc, that says I should just be able to access my server root and see the OACS "welcome/install" page?

more thanks...

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
To clarify: when everything is set up correctly no source code should be revealed. Check for example https://openacs.org/index.adp - it displays its custom not-found page.

Is the pageroot parameter set correctly? It should point to the www directory beneath the OpenACS root directory, e.g. /web/myservice/www, comparable to this:

ns_section "ns/server/${servername}"
ns_param   pageroot        /web/myservice/www

Also make sure you restart the server and inspect the error log for interesting messages during startup (e.g. load it in emacs and search backwards for the word 'ERROR') and when calling the page that returns the error. The location of your error log depends on the value of the ServerLog parameter in your config file.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
By the way, if you don't have a particular reason to use 4.5 then you might want to start right away with the highly recommended, very-soon-to-be-released version 4.6. Instructions how to check it out from CVS are here: https://openacs.org/4/checkout.