Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OACS CMS - Stillbirth?

Collapse
8: Re: OACS CMS - Stillbirth? (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
I think Michael is absolutely right that the lack of a well-functioning CMS is hurting us. Right now, demand for CMS systems is about ten to 100 times as big as demand for groupware-related stuff, and even for intranets, CMS is a major component.

I'm not so afraid of the problem of designing the beast. It's my impression, without really knowing a whole lot about it, that the CMS space is fairly standardized, and instead of trying to come up with a grand and innovative design, I think we should just look at one of the more successful systems out there, and simply copy that. Or at least let ourselves be heavily inspired by them.

How to get it done is another problem altogether. We need to find someone to fund it. My suggestion is that we come up with a reasonable specification that will let us get to a baseline implementation with not too much work, and that has obvious potentials for future extension. The point is that when someone needs CMS features, instead of rolling their own, they'd implement the parts of the specification that fit their needs, and eventually we'd get something together ther works.

We should also take a look at the CMS that Lanifex did for UNIDO, and other parts of a CMS system that people have done on client projects.

/Lars