Forum OpenACS Q&A: Ecommerce Product : Different Color Choices, Different Prices

I would like to request recommendations/suggestion from those who have used the ecommerce module before.

I would like to be able to specify a price per color choice. It seems that while a product can have different colors or styles, this product can only have one price, regardless of the chosen color or style.

I am therefore forced to create a new product, which happens to be essentially the same as the former but only different in price and color.

Any suggestions on how to implement this ? If it works out, I would suggest that we put it in as a permanent feature in the ecommerce module.

Hi Ham,

Maybe you can use a mapping table.  product_id, color, price or something like that.  Although you will have to join this additional table.

I guess if it will be done like this, the best long term way is have e-commerce accept attributes and stuff.  Since its likely others will have a need to have price dictated by other attributes other than color. Which may take too much volunteer effort.  It would be nice to if a project will require e-commerce to make use of CR.  So product_id is actually item_id.  Or something like that.  Then this will be donated back to OpenACS.

Good luck, you can still reach me if you want to further discuss about this.