Forum OpenACS Q&A: Contradictory Oracle guides

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
In the "Available Product Components" section of Bruno's and Vinod's Oracle Installation guides the two says two different things. Well, they differ in a lot of places but especially this part made me wonder what to do.

Bruno's guide says this:

In addition to the defaults, make sure that "Oracle SQLJ 8.1.7.0.0," "Oracle Protocol Support 8.1.7.0.0," and "Oracle8i for UNIX documentation 8.1.7.0.0 " are also checked (they were not in release 8.1.5) and that "Oracle HTTP Server 1.3.12.0.1a", "Oracle Parallel Server 8.1.7.0.1" and "Oracle Advanced Security 8.1.7.0.0" are NOT checked

While Vinod says this:

In addition to the defaults, make sure that "Oracle SQLJ 8.1.7.0," "Oracle Protocol Support 8.1.7.0.0," and "Linux Documentation 8.1.7.0.0" are also checked.

In the installation I did today, I followed Vinod's guide and an error occured (I believe) because I hadn't deselected the http server. The paralell server was deselected by default so it didn't get installed, but, "Oracle Advanced Security" was selected so it got installed. Bruno says not to install it... Dunno if it harms anyone.

Should one of the docs be updated in this section or maybe both?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
We try to install as few components of Oracle as possible. Therefore Bruno's guide is more accurate and should reflect the communities point of view for getting Oracle to run with OpenACS. Don't install more then is necessary. Especially you might want to not install the enterprise features, if you only have a standard license.

Last but not least I can only encourage everyone to get their hands on the Oracle 8.1.7.4 upgrade. It is only available through metalink (officially), but I'm not sure if you are in violation of your license if you install it if you get it from other sources.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I also got the failure on the http server, so I don't think it matters much. I also didn't deselect anything. One difference, is that the new version has UNIX documentation, not Linux docs, I think that is not an issue. I'm trying to get my install record on the net so maybe it can be used as a rough guide. It is in a format that isn't right now available to publish, so maybe next week.

The most important points on installation on RH7.3 or 8.0 is to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 in every process that uses Oracle. Once you finish with the runInstaller, unpack and install the glibc stubs patch. Then you can run the database creation script that runInstaller produced. Also, note that some of the files you are asked to download to startup AOLserver, etc. are missing the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL varible.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
The other thing to keep in mind with respect to the glibc patch is that if you install any other Oracle patches (like the 8.1.7.4 upgrade) you'll probably have to install the glibc patch again afterwards.  If you get the dreaded "ORA-3113 End of Communication Channel", reinstalling the glibc patch is the first thing to try.