Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Software Downloads: Please Advertise!

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

As of today, Lamar Owen is replacing the nspostgres driver on SourceForge with what is current in the openacs cvs.

Once this move is made, the makefile is going to be modified to bring it in line with the other AOLserver modules.

Even the postgres download at openacs.org/software is out of data when compared to the openacs cvs.

Vinod, my comments and frustration is not against the maintainers of the docs or the website. This is a huge job, and I am just starting to appreciate the difficulty in keeping this stuff up-to-date. This is the reason I think we need to make a decision to spiff up the exterior of our project and make sure that it is easier to try out this software at-it-is-now.

I basically had a few problems when installing OpenACS:

• Docs out of date and missing important details.
  • Docs conflicting with one another.
  • Necessary files strewn about the internet linked only to the install docs, not to main areas of any website.
  • Multiple copies of software with no version numbers attached (postgres driver).

On the other hand, there is no lack of helpful advice on what to do. I just want new users to not have the same problems I had. Chances are, most will never ask for help. They will just silently move on 'like little blobs of negative energy' pushing away other potential users before they ever get close.