Forum OpenACS Q&A: aolserver won't start on RH 8.0

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I am almost through with my reinstallation of 3.2.5 on RH 8.0 and PG 7.2.3...

I imported my backup into PG. I can access PG via nsadmin. Nevertheless the following error occurs:

-------------------

[nsadmin@arasis aolserver]$ /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd -u nsadmin -g web -i -t /usr/local/aolserver/arasis1.tcl
[13/Jan/2003:21:52:04][26166.8192][-main-] Notice: arasis1.tcl: starting to read config file...
[13/Jan/2003:21:52:04][26166.8192][-main-] Warning: arasis1.tcl: nsssl not loaded because key/cert files do not exist.
[13/Jan/2003:21:52:04][26166.8192][-main-] Notice: arasis1.tcl: finished reading config file.
DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
Segmentation fault

-------------------

My aolserver log file only says:

[13/Jan/2003:21:52:05][26166.8192][-main-] Error: nssock: failed to listen on *MyIP*:80: Permission denied

-------------------

Why do I get a permission denied... How can I find out, what service is occupying port 80?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
You're starting AOLserver as a regular user. Regular users can't bind to ports below 1024. You need to start AOLserver as root, as indicated in the installation documents.

-Roberto

Collapse
I just tried to shoot up aolserver as root, and *didn't* get an error in the aolserver log, but got the same pq_recvbuf: error from postgres... The server is still unreachable and ps auxww doesn't give me a result for aolserver. Aolserver works properly though as the sample-script.tcl worked!

I found the following rpms installed on my system

compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110
libstdc++-3.2-7
libstdc++-devel-3.2-7

Collapse
So what does the log say?
Did AOLserver start?
What version of PG?
What version of the PG driver (or where did you download it from, and when)?
Is there anything interesting in the PG log?

-Roberto

Collapse
--So what does the log say?
aolserver log didn't complaint at all. It even binded port 80...

--Did AOLserver start?
strangely aolserver doesn't start. It doesn't run whenever I look for it via px auxww | grep aolserver

--What version of PG?
I am trying my luck with 7.2.3... but I have the feeling that I would be way better off running 7.1.3 (if ./configure worked...)

--What version of the PG driver (or where did you download it from, and when)?
pgdriver-2.0.1 This might be the problem! 2.3.0 doesn't install the same way as 2.0.1... It gives me a whole bunch of errors, whenever I alter the path of aolserver + gmake it...

--Is there anything interesting in the PG log?
/data/serverlog doesn't say a word!

I am still getting:

Segmentation fault

Collapse
Segmentation fault is never a good thing, unless you're doing it on purpose.

So what you're seeing is probably AOLserver segfaulting. It look like AOLserver tries to make a connection to PG, and then it dies, hence creating the unexpected EOF error from PG's part.

I'd say you most likely have a driver problem. Something is not right in your compilation or you have an older version of the driver.

You can download nspostgres from aolserver.sf.net these days. It's the most current version.

-Roberto

Collapse
Roberto,

thanks for your help so far... I have the pgdriver 2.0.1 running... But how on earth am I supposed to install nspostgres-3.5, which I just downloaded from sourceforge... I didn't find any documentation. Or am I to use the 2.3.0 driver that I downloaded from the software section of oacs.

This is really getting complicated...

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
David,

I can attest that the combination of AOLserver + PG 7.2.3 + RH 8.0 does work.

From what you've described so far I don't think that PG is to blame. I recommend to upgrade to nspostgres-3.5. However, you could also use older versions. Try recompiling your current driver.

To compile nspostres-3.5 you simply type 'make' in the nspostgres directory. If any environment variables are missing you will get a message instructing you what to do.

/Bart

Collapse
I am going crazy... I just compiled nspostgres.3.5 and everything went smoothly... no complaint in the aolserver log, BUT my good old friend segmentation fault back in the house...

Any more hints?

Collapse
What version of AOLserver is this?

Are you following the installation docs on openacs.org?

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Is your error log full (~2 GB)?

If that's the case you can empty it by doing "cat /dev/null > logfile"

Collapse
It looked like my old nsd.tcl file caused the problem... I used the new and it works... Holy Moly!!!

Now I encountered the pgsql problem:

ERROR:  value too long for type character(1)
NOTICE:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function sec_rotate_last_visit
NOTICE:  line 11 at SQL statement

Roberto,

could you dig up your changes?

"I don't remember what I had to do to get 3.2.5 working on 7.2. It's been too long since I messed with 3.2, but I can probably dig up my changes."