Forum OpenACS Q&A: Migrating openacs.org to PG 7.2

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
We're in the process of migrating openacs.org from PG 7.1 to PG 7.2. We started the process this morning and found out several things along the way.

I documented all we had to do and added it under a new section of https://openacs.org/doc/ (namely https://openacs.org/doc/misc/). Check it out. Comments appreciated.

I did this to help other people and also so other OpenACS installations on the openacs.org machine would move their installations to 7.2.3, so we can get rid of the 7.1 postmaster alltogether.

Everything is running now, and I think we'll move the site over to 7.2.3 tonight. We'll post when we do so.

During this migration some quirks may happen. You have been warned. Please don't flame us, be understanding.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Bytheway on
Thanks for posting this document, Roberto, it couldn't have come with better timing.  This afternoon we had to move one of our sites from one server to another.  This document was invaluable in helping through the steps.
Collapse
Excellent. I'm glad it was of help to someone. That's why I went through the trouble of writing it.

-Roberto

Collapse
Just so everybody knows, we're starting the migration for good of openacs.org to PG 7.2.3.

To avoid some of the problems we had with the 3.2.5 -> 4.6 migration, we are going to bring the site down, with a temporary "In Maintenance" page in its place.

That way we can make a pg_dump/reload of the database and avoid problems of lost posts/users/etc.

Hang on tight.

-Roberto

Collapse
I and Dave Bauer just finished the migration of openacs.org to PostgreSQL 7.2.3. Everything seems to be running fine.

Dave fixed a small bug in a function that inserted a string larger than what the varchar was setup for, which 7.1 silently igored. Thank goodness for CREATE AND REPLACE!

Let us know if you find any problems. Hopefully the other sites on the openacs.org box will move to 7.2.3 soon too.

-Roberto