Forum OpenACS Q&A: External mailing list integration into ACS Forum?

Hi,

users at our site expressed their desire to use a "normal" mailing list, to which they could simply forward stuff they received in their email. We would like communication to move over OACS (mainly for purposes of archiving).

Is there a way to integrate these two requirements? Can we set up an email address which the ACS Forum package "reads" and feeds into the normal Forum data model? Does anyone have experience (and, maybe, code) for this scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Helge

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
The notifications package supports scanning a qmail queue for incoming emails and inserting them as replies into forums. Check the parameter settings of notifications, and also the bugtracker for open bugs to see some of the current shortcomings.
Collapse
Posted by Chris Johnson on
I'm very interested in this. Tilmann, have you set this up before? I am also using qmail...
But my ambition is to fairly soon integrate oacs as full fledged mailing list manager where the email is stored in the db and where one can interact just as easily using the bboard or email... I wonder if anyone else is interested in that prospect??
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Yes I set this up before and it works. Just see the bugtracker on the acs-mail-lite, notifications and forums packages for some limitations.