Forum OpenACS Q&A: Permissions to manage group

Collapse
Posted by Peter Holzleitner on
I want a non-admin user to be able to manage membership in a group (for access to a bulletin board).

So I set up group etc. and gave the group-admin user 'admin' rights to the group.

However, when trying to open
  ... /admin/groups/one?group_id=9070
that user is rejected because he doesn't have "permission to admin Main Site. ".

Any suggestions welcome ...

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
I am afraid I don't have a satisfying answer for you, just a general hint: everything beneath a "packageinstance/admin/" url is automatically restricted to users that have admin privileges on that package instance. In case of the top level url http://mysite.com/admin it is an instance of the acs-subsite package, typically called "Main Site".

Since the group administration pages are all under admin/ of subsite there is not really a workaround for this. AFAIK simply copying those admin pages somewhere else and restricting access with other means than the automatic admin check is tedious because of lots of references to other admin pages.

The concept behind that is that you would rather set up another subsite beneath the root and grant admin rights to selected people on that subsite instance.

Collapse
Thanks.  Maybe I should ask differently:

What's the best way to delegate (to a non-site/subsite-admin user) the ability to control membership of a bboard?

--Peter

Collapse
P.S. creating a sub-site per bboard just seems WRONG 😉
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
The answer to this other question is easier: grant admin rights on the forum instance. The grantee is then theoretically able to grant further permissions on that forum instance to others by herself, by using the /permissions/one page. This is only possible for already existing user groups and single users though, the grantee won't be able to manage group memberships.

The only problems with this is that there is currently no link to that page from the forums admin page (should be very easy to add), and that the /permission/ UI sucks, especially if you have many users and groups. There's interest to improve that but I don't know the current status of any efforts.

(btw., I am talking about the new forums package, not bboard, but that propably applies to both)

While creating one sub-site per forum may seem wrong, the concept behind it is that you have different sub-admins that are in charge of different sub-sections of your site, of which  a part would be a forum instance. And managing group membership information is obviously much more than just managing a forum, so it makes sense that it is coupled with other rights as well (subsite administration).