Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Implementing SCORM 1.3 in OpenACS/dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Lars,

Excellent question. As if now we are not doing it for anyone in particular. However we do have a lot of people that have shown interest "if we would adopt SCORM". I guess they see it as a competitive advantage; however, I think it might be a bit more than that.

In addition, we (S&R dudes and myself) believe that incorporating it to OpenACS will open quite a bunch of opportunities not only in the higher education realm (with dotLRN), but also in the corporate sector. If we manage to incorporate SCORM successfully to OpenACS, we also see potential to maybe add a package that could allow an Human Resources department in a particular company to deploy SCORM compliant courses across their organization (maybe a dotWRK package?). Now, once again, let's not get to excited as if yet. There are a bunch of cool things we can do with this and a good sequencing engine, but let's take it step by step.

However, I must admit that I have come across a lot of people that believe that SCORM has little future. By the same token, I have seen that some of those concerns are being addressed by incorporating different standards and improvements. There is an interesting presentation about where ADL wants to take SCORM that you might find interesting to see. We see the benefits of it, but still there is some major work to do to get this going, but that's the challenge.

Unfortunately, NYU has invested heavily in Blackboard and they seem to be happy with it for now. But maybe, if we add some more other interesting features in the future, then they might reconsider and go for dotLRN. BTW, as far as my affiliation with NYU, I'm a recent graduate .

You have a good one,

Ernie