Forum OpenACS Development: Re: AOLServer 4.0

Collapse
4: Re: AOLServer 4.0 (response to 1)
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Jeff,

Yes there is confusion about what is needed. I think Rob Mayoff's document has a complete list of the API's needed by OpenACS. What is still unclear to me is the current state of i18n support in AOLserver 4.0. The Mayoff document doesn't spell out what happens automatically when you use things like ns_return*, but other functions are pretty well explained.

I thought Jim Davidson or Nathan Folkman had said that i18n was working for adps, so I thought there might be something in the adp parsing code. I didn't find anything yet. The adp parsing code works on utf strings, but doesn't seem to address issues like files stored in something other than the system encoding (which I think it handles automatically).

Also needed is a test procedure, with some pages. I have a UTF-8 test page that is broken in all browsers, so it seems a regular old browser test doesnt't necessarily help. Probably what is needed is a test that uploads a file, or text fragment, in an encoding, stores it in the filesystem and in the database, displays it, allows it to be downloaded, etc. and can check an MD5 signature or something to see if it gets corrupted. I'm sure there is a long list of what needs to be tested, so those who know, please post something here.