Forum OpenACS Development: Re: The query dispatcher and Oracle version dependency

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I encountered this once, although in postgres.  My query files was pg 7.2 and it took me a few minutes why the deployed site was not fully running since the pg on the remote server was 7.1.3.

I think keeping versions is kinda hard.  Most people would not even port to Oracle or Postgres.  Why not just drop versions in the code and put it into the release notes.  Like "OACS ver x.x requires/tested on PG x.x or Oracle x.x".  The queries that is not supported on the db would likely throw an error which should make the developer read the release notes or find out that his current db version does not support XYZ feature.  The latest CCM code I believe does not check the db version,  just oracle or pg.  Not sure though, but there is no indication it looks for the version.

Or maybe just on bootstrap it checks the version, I think someone already did something like this.  And the query dispatcher does not check the versions anymore.