Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: Openacs 4.7 New CMS Planning

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well ... the CMS was actually considered quite feature-complete at the time it was designed. It just has an unmanagable UI.

Things it supports include

• The ability to assign an arbitrary template to an object type
  • The ability to assign an arbitrary template to an arbitrary instance of an object type
  • The ability to dynamically add fields etc to content types in the CR and to define new types via the web
  • It will publish content to the file system which lessens the load on the CPU
  • Has the scheduling stuff that's needed
  • auto-generates forms for data input
etc etc etc. Far more than any one in our group is likely to lash up.

So ... how about "write a reasonable UI that exposes the existing functionality"?

I'd actually like to see the capabilities more thoroughly exposed (which means mostly thoroughly documented) and bundled as an infrastructure package, if you will (the CR may be where it belongs though it's massive enough that a separate install makes sense).

Then our CMS package could be a particular UI on top of the infrastructure, just as file storage is a particular UI on top of the content repository (or would be if its nagging little problems got rewritten).

Torben ... one thing we've talked about is a DAV interface to the content repository. That would allow the use of remote editors with CR content over the internet. It's *very* important that we have it.

Both of these things are >4.7 though, I believe, given today's decision to try to push out 4.7 in late spring. I'd say they're both starting to bubble up to the top of the priority list, though, eventually they're going to survive the triage process.