Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Install Documentation and Recomendations for dotLRN 1.0

Hey John, could you give me some data on how reliable Blackboard was BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED????

Comparing the stability of a piece of software that's been available for quite a long time with a PRE-RELEASE piece of software like dotLRN is really unfair.

If you can't deal with the instability of PRE-RELEASE software ... don't use it.  This advice is sound whether you're looking at closed-source, proprietary software or open source software like dotLRN.

Of course we know it has to be reliable.  That's why - as Bart mentions - we are organizing testers.  That's why we have a bugtracker.  That's why I spent much of last week doing scalability testing and working up potential solutions for one of the problems I found.

CVS HEAD is a bit unstable at the moment because there's a lot of work underway to add localization to OpenACS and dotLRN.  The folks involved made it clear that the effort would upset the apple cart for a bit - that's why we made a  CVS branch for dotLRN 1.0 beforehand.  The first release of dotLRN won't be coming from CVS HEAD, but rather bug fixes made against the 1.0 branch.  The code you've tried to use won't be released until dotLRN 1.1.