Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Augmenting acs_objects - Add package_id, name, overview, etc. to it

The code that displays metadata about a subsite will doubtless know it's dealing with subsites ... or at least with packages.  In other words ... it is fine that this code knows where to find package metadata.

I'd say that it seems fundamentally obvious to me that there are relatively few things one wants to do via a web interface to objects en masse.  Let's face it, pages that list every object in the system are by nature not very useful except to the programmer, and as a programmer I don't remember this approach every being useful to me.

On the other hand, pages that display information about broad classes of objects - content, for instance - do make sense.

That's where I'm coming from and I'd guess Dan's thinking something similar.

"Here's the content contributed by User Resu grouped by content package" ... something like this makes sense.  Abd the CR provides metadata common to content ... name and description being two examples.

"Here's every object contributed by User Resu - even though she was often unaware that something she did made a bunch of objects" ... not very useful.  How many site admins want to see a list of all of the relation objects this user has created by virtue of joining a group, etc?  How many casual users?