Forum .LRN Q&A: Installation problem

Collapse
Posted by Stefan Bludszus on
Hi all,

I want to install dotLRN on my laptop with cygwin, Postgres 7.3.1, Aolserver 3.3 with Patch AD13 and OpenACS (HEAD) and dotLRN (I think 1.1). After all OpenACS runs fine without any problem. But if I install the new-portal package I get the error message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psql:defaults.sql:92: WARNING:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function
portal_layout__new
psql:defaults.sql:92: WARNING:  line 9 at assignment
psql:defaults.sql:92: ERROR:  Function portal_layout__new("unknown", character v
arying, character varying, character varying, character varying, "unknown", time
stamp with time zone, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown") does not exist
        Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
        You may need to add explicit typecasts
DROP FUNCTION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can reproduce the problem if I execute the SQL script defaults.sql. It seems, that the fuction portal_layout__new isn't correct identified. The function itself is in SQL script api-create.sql. There are two version of the function one with 4 and the other with 10 arguments. I don't know enough about PL/SQL to solve the problem.
Can anybody help me?

Regards
Stefan

Collapse
2: Re: Installation problem (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Stefan,

Openacs has been ported to PG 7.3 but dotLRN hasn't. What you experience is a call to portal_layout__new with a set of parameters that does not match the data types of the function declaration. PG 7.2 will automatically cast the parameter types in the call to the types of the declaration but PG 7.3 doesn't.

There are bound to be more cases like this. Each would have to be fixed the source code. I'f you feel up for it you could produce patches and submit them in the Openacs bugtracker.

/Bart