Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Functions in .xql files...

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Don,

Sorry if I did not understand your comment.  Anyway which direction would OACS go?  Go higher - more tcl, or go lower - less tcl.

There are some inefficiency with the direction I am going, more tcl.  For example there are places I had to call 2 tcl procs wherein normally I can just call a single sql with a join.  But I decided not to optimized anymore since its not a bottleneck page.  Also it seems to be more readable codewise, as its more clear what I am trying to do.  Rather than making a query that some junior level developer will not figure out at once.

I am not yet all convinced with all this abstractions, although I am inclined to it.  Maybe its because I tried to experiment with it or maybe due to CCM experience, or both.  I am still open to where OpenACS will go.  Its really fasinating using 2 toolkits that came from the same ACS heritage.

I think all this abstraction thingy was born as a side effect of the more complex data model.  I sure miss 3.x days wherein you just query simple tables :)