Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS 4.6 package partial installs, possible to undo?

I'm getting inconsistent results trying to install some packages. It looks like an install partially succeeds (with an error), just enough to tell the package manager not to allow further attempts for that package. Is there a way to uninstall packages that haven't been recognized as installed? I see drop scripts in the package dirs. Can those be run from the command line, and if so, how?

Server installed using G Wong's FreeBSD guide and Postgresql 7.3.2. I'm also thinking that I should back up to Postgresql 7.2.x.

Here's an example:

Installing packages...

* Installing data model for Reference Data - Language 0.1d...
          o Loading data model /web/openacs-4/packages/ref-language/sql/postgresql/ref-language-create.sql...

COMMENT
COMMENT
COMMENT
BEGIN
COMMIT
COMMIT
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: AOLserver/3.4.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:32:17 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 21263
Connection: close

Request Error

psql:ref-language-create.sql:19: ERROR:  Relation 'language_codes' already exists
psql:ref-language-create.sql:41: WARNING:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function acs_reference__new
psql:ref-language-create.sql:41: WARNING:  line 9 at return
psql:ref-language-create.sql:41: ERROR:  Function acs_reference__new("unknown", character varying, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", character varying, character varying, timestamptz, "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown", "unknown") does not exist
    Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
    You may need to add explicit typecasts
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:8: ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index language_codes_language_id_pk
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:9: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:10: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:11: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:12: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:13: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
psql:../common/ref-language-data.sql:14: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OpenACS 4.6 doesn't support PostgreSQL 7.3.x, as this version of PostgreSQL implements "timestamp" in a way incompatible with earlier versions.

We're working on support for PG 7.3.x for OpenACS 4.7 but until then you should use PG 7.2.3.

PG 4.6.1 should at least install under PG 7.3.x when it's released but there are some lingering timestamp issues that probably won't get fully resolved until OpenACS 4.7.

Thanks, Don.

I'll move back to Postgresql 7.2.

Albert

I did retreat to Postgresql 7.2.4 from 7.3.2 and got a successful install.

However, I still get SQL errors when doing admin stuff like adding packages or checking permissions within a package, etc.
with errors like the one I originally reported.

Any ideas?

Albert