Forum OpenACS Q&A: OT: Java --> JavaScript on Mac IE

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
I'm using an HTML editor applet, as a replacement for text area controls in various forms, for end-users to be able to perform simple formatting using a WYSIWYG type of interface. This is a request I get a lot. I wonder if anyone else has a good way of dealing with this?

I've been using the EKit open source HTML applet (at http://www.hexidec.com/ekit.php). I'm really happy with it, except for problems getting it to work on Macintosh browsers. So far it will only load on OS X with IE, but even then I can't actually get the text out of it.

A getDocumentText() method is being called from the JavaScript like this:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
	function copyText()
	{
	   document.EkitDemoForm.TextViewer.value = document.EkitDemoForm.Ekit.getDocumentText();
	}
</SCRIPT>
And the text from the applet is copied to the hidden form variable when you click the submit button:
<INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Copy HTML" onClick="copyText();">			
It works on IE on Windows, but not on IE on Macintosh. On the Macintosh nothing gets copied from the applet to the form variable. Any ideas what else to try?

Thanks in advance.
Walter

Collapse
Posted by Red Red on
I do not think you can access an applet directly from MAC IE (which is based on a Netscape architecture). I tryed also, and it as alas not working. Keep post if you find a work around. Ted Toast