Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re-installing Oracle

Collapse
Posted by Michael Olan on
This shouldn't be such a pain. But I decided to re-install Oracle after a couple serious problems, and now can't create an ititial database. The main problem seems to be this generic ORA-03113 error. I'm prepared to just start over from scratch, but thought I was already doing that. So how do I COMPLETELY remove all traces of Oracle to start over again? (Unless, there is an obvious & simple fix to the problem as it exists). Thanks, Michael
./sqlora8.sh

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SVRMGR> SVRMGR> Password: 
Password: 
SVRMGR> LCC-00161: Message 161 not found;  product=SVRMGR; facility=MGR

SVRMGR>      2>      3>      4>      5>      6>      7>      8>      9>     10> CREATE DATABASE "ora8"
ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
SVRMGR> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SVRMGR> SVRMGR> Server Manager complete.

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

SVRMGR> SVRMGR> Password: 
SVRMGR> create or replace 
ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
create or replace 
Collapse
2: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
Posted by Sebastiano Pilla on
I'd assume you are on Linux... Usually, getting ORA-03113 after an installation on Linux means that the kernel parameters aren't adequate for Oracle: look in the installation guides and in the various sources of information on the net for informations about shared memory sizes and semaphores. Depending on your Linux distribution, you may or may not have to recompile your kernel to make it use the new parameters.

About removing Oracle completely, I'd remove any directory with Oracle data files or binaries, then I'd remove the user and groups created during the previous installation, if they're not needed anymore. Finally, I'd take a good look at the /etc directory, with a couple of commands like find . -exec grep 'oracle' you should find any leftover files.

Collapse
3: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
ok, deleted files in /etc which helps. But in the step towards the end of the installation where the script root.sh needs to be run as root, the following occurs:
./root.sh: -f: command not found
Running Oracle8 root.sh script...
./root.sh: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
./root.sh: command substitution: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
./root.sh: [: !=: unary operator expected
The following environment variables are set as:
    ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=  /apps/ora8/m01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
    ORACLE_SID=   ora8

Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory: [/usr/local/bin]:
Creating /etc/oratab file...
Entry will be added to the /etc/oratab file by
Database Configuration Assistant when a database is created
Finished running generic part of root.sh script.
Now product-specific root actions will be performed.

The ORA-03113 is still there. Yikes!
Collapse
4: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Michael, I'm running into exactly the same problem as you, I believe. I've documented exactly what I've done to install Oracle up to this point. I'm installing on a completely clean Redhat 8.0 system. The only thing that I've done is install up2date updates before Oracle...
Collapse
5: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I'm looking around the net right now, trying to figure out how to do what Sebastiano suggested.

On this webpage, it seems this guy changed his shmmax to a much higher number than what it says on my system.

oracle$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
Should I change that to 2147483648? Would I do that by simply doing: echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax?

They have suggestions for boosting everything else up as well, and suggest putting it in a script. Has anybody here done that, and if so, would they mind posting it? I'll put in a link to this thread from the documentation if anybody does so, so that future people with this problem can avoid this.

Thanks!

Collapse
6: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
Jade & others,

I'm installing on slackware. I've got 8.1.6 installed successfully on another older slackware box, and am trying to get 8.1.7 on this one. Janine emphasizes installing the glib patches, and I haven't done that since before the first failed install, so I did that again. But I'm working remotely, and the X-Win client is crashing whenever runInstaller starts up. Need to give up & come back to it later.

Also noticed threads in the forum with info on how to fix the root.sh script problem.

Might be outa luck if I ever get to where the 8.1.7.4 patches would be installed, not having a metalink account. But since we have an academic license on my campus there might be someone I can find who had the account.

Collapse
7: Re: Re-installing Oracle (response to 1)
Posted by Sebastiano Pilla on
About the shared memory setting, the way I did it on my SuSE 7.2 box was exactly as mentioned by Jade: I put echo 2147483648 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax into one of the startup files (I forgot which one, I have wiped the box since then).

The glibc patches are important as well, IIRC I installed them before installing Oracle. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer as help regarding the root.sh issues, I haven't encountered any. If I get to the point of installing Oracle on a new Linux box I'll try to take notes and post them here. Don't hold your breath however, I'm changing job in the next weeks so my time allocation will get... interesting.