I am trying to get dotLRN from CVS and I do this:

[bruno@web1 dotlrn]$ export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot"
[bruno@web1 dotlrn]$ cvs login
(Logging in to anonymous@openacs.org)
CVS password:
[bruno@web1 dotlrn]$ cvs -z3 co -r oacs-4-6 -d oacs-dotlrn acs-core

After a few lines from CVS I get these errors:

cvs server: Updating oacs-dotlrn/www/test
cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot/openacs-4/packages/acs-lang does not match /cvsroot/openacs-4/bin
cvs server: ignoring module openacs-4/bin
cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot/openacs-4/packages/acs-lang does not match /cvsroot/openacs-4/content-repository-content-files
cvs server: ignoring module openacs-4/content-repository-content-files
cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot/openacs-4/packages/acs-lang does not match /cvsroot/openacs-4/tcl
cvs server: ignoring module openacs-4/tcl
cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot/openacs-4/packages/acs-lang does not match /cvsroot/openacs-4/www
cvs server: ignoring module openacs-4/www
cvs server: existing repository /cvsroot/openacs-4/packages/acs-lang does not match /cvsroot/openacs-4
cvs server: ignoring module openacs-4/readme.txt
[SNIP]

I haven't been following the developments of dotLRN very closely, have I missed something? I am following the documentation on how to install it but ...

I tried several times and always the same error...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? :)

Thank you

Collapse
2: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 1)
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Replying to myself ... Thanks to Jun that sent me an email, it's the "-d" flag that is causing some problems ... I have no idea why ... Does anyone know?
Collapse
3: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 1)
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hi...

Maybe you have to be in the /web/<server>/packages dir before running the cvs command.

-Jim

Collapse
4: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 3)
Hi Jim,

but when you run this CVS command, you don't have the "packages" directory, you are suppose to check it out from CVS. That's why it's so strange, anyway, if you don't use "-d someotherdir" it works like a charm, and once you have checked out the whole thing, you can do "mv openacs-4 whateverIwant".

Collapse
5: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 1)
Posted by Jim Lynch on
So are you checking out dotlrn without checking out openacs itself? (It is openacs that has the packages dir)

-Jim

Collapse
6: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 5)

Hi Jim

No, I was checking OpenACS...

Snippet from my original post:

[bruno@web1 dotlrn]$ cvs -z3 co -r oacs-4-6 -d oacs-dotlrn acs-core

This was checkout OpenACS ... I had also the same behaviour when using the -d oacs-dotlrn option in CVS.

Collapse
7: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 1)
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hmm... it's doing the same thing for me. Looking into it now

Found in openacs.org:/cvsroot/CVSROOT/modules:

(leaving lots of stuff out)

acs-core -a openacs-4/packages/acs-lang ...

:
:

acs-lang openacs-4/packages/acs-lang

So, I'm thinking that the line for the module acs-core should read instead, either

• acs-core openacs-4/packages/acs-lang ... or
  • acs-core -a acs-lang ...

Could someone confirm this?

-Jim

P.S: Bruno, could you try again without setting the directory?

Also note, that I'm getting weird directory structure when I try to check out openacs-core in this manner; rather than looking like an openacs server root, it looks like an individual package root.

Collapse
8: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 7)

Hello Jim

It works if you *don't* use the directory setting from CVS. So doing:

cvs -z3 co -r oacs-4-6 acs-core

works like a charm.

I tried that and it worked, as well as for dotLRN.

Collapse
9: Re: Strange CVS behaviour? (response to 1)
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Bruno,

If you do specify a -d <dir> param, have you looked at the (partial) result, in the <dir> you specified? Does it look to you like a package rather than a whole openacs root dir?

If so, we've confirmed each other's results.

-Jim

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Welp... I dunno if this is it, but it's a result of checking the output of "man cvs", so could be definitive, or my miswunderstanding... But look at the man page; the following is results only.

Try a -d <dir> with a -N

-Jim

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Just tried with -N, like this:

export CVSROOT=":pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot"
cvs login
(enter)
cvs -z3 co -r oacs-4-6 -d oacs-dotlrn -N acs-core

and it pulled everything in... But: it created oacs-dotlrn/openacs-4 and pulled the stuff you wanted to be in oacs-dotlrn/ into the dir oacs-dotlrn/openacs-4.

Perhaps the man page ("man cvs") will have an answer as to why... let me know if so :)

-Jim

Collapse
Hello Jim,

Yes, doing "cvs -z3 co -r oacs-4-6 -d oacs-dotlrn -N acs-core" checks out fine but everything is stores as you say, "oacs-dotlrn/openacs-4" so ... I don't know if this is a problem in the CVS repository but still, the easiest solution is just to avoid using "-d" and then to rename the "openacs-4" directory to whatever we want it to be called.

Thanks!

/B