Forum OpenACS Q&A: Tips or Gotchas for Install on Solaris 10

Hello All,

I'll be installing the latest stable OpenACS, Postgresql, etc.. on a Sun Sun Blade 100 machine later this month. We are installing Solaris 10 on the machine first, I was wondering if anyone who has already done the install has any tips, hints or gotchas to share.

Ideally, I'd like to follow someone's written instructions if they are available. But failing that, I'll be happy to root through an install with a clean machine and document as I go.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...

Gil

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Hi Gilbert,

My company does a lot of Solaris (usually on Opterons but have some SPARC systems) and have found Solaris 10 to be a great platform for OpenACS and Postgres.

Let me pull together some of my notes and post them here.

Does your Blade 100 have SCSI or IDE drives? You may have to employ a workaround if you want to use ZFS on IDE under SPARC (obscure driver bug) - but I can help you through that.

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Hello Patrick,

I'll have to look when the machine gets here later in the week. It's being transferred in from another office and they really didn't know anything about it, I think they got it by mistake years ago and decided to ship it over to me when they found out I had some *nix experience 😊 ...

Any help you can provide to keep me straight from the beginning is greatly appreciated.

Gil

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Price on
Hello Patrick,

The Sun Blade has an IDE 20GB drive in it. We'll be upping this to a 60 or 80Gb drive in the next week or so.

Any help you or anyone else can provide for installing OpenACS on Solaris 10 will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again,

Gil

Collapse
Posted by Stephen Lewis on
Good Morning Patrick, I will as well be testing a solution on Solaris 10. I would love to have some instruction on how to do this. I am using a Ultra5 workstation for the testing.

Thank you Patrick,

Stephen

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
I have started to put up a few tips on http://blog.zill.net/ . Not done yet, but will add more tips as I am able.