Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Upgrading from OpenACS 4.5 to 4.6

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Jade,
so you are indeed on cvs head - good to know. cvs head is far less reliable than 4.6 (4.7 won't be released until maybe this summer). However, if you want I18N you should go with cvs head. For encouragement, I am using cvs head on my homepage, and we also obviously use it for the dotlrn translation server.

If you do go with cvs head now you will be able to upgrade to 4.7 later as we are taking upgrade scripts very seriously. When/if you find glitches (like you just did) we will fix them.

I committed an attempt to fix the broken APM upgrade UI by making it not error out on unrecognized file types (instead log a warning) and by supplying an upgrade script to acs-kernel that adds the message_catalog filetype (new version of acs-kernel is 4.7.2d).

However for this to work the message_catalog file type must be added before the APM attempts to insert the new catalog files (because of referential integrity). This requires the acs-kernel package to be upgraded before any other packages that have message catalog files are upgraded or installed. A safe way to achieve this would be to set the required version of acs-kernel of all packages that have message catalog files to be 4.7.2d. This may not be necessary, maybe acs-kernel gets installed first anyway, I don't know.

/Peter