Forum OpenACS Q&A: Inserting a long string constant into a clob from plsql?

I want to load a long string constant into a oracle table when the package sql is sourced during installation, but looking through the oracle documentation, I don't see any easy way to do this.  In postgresql, I just created a text column and used a simple insert statement in the package create script to get the string into the table.
How long is the string? If < 32KB, it can be passed as parameter to any PL/SQL stored procedure, and the procedure can insert it into a CLOB with a simple insert statement. If its longer than 32KB, then you'll have to use the DBMS_LOB package.

Have a look at this page and at the parent chapter (both require an Oracle OTN account).
If you use the Oracle driver (most probably you do if you use OpenACS or ACS with Oracle) you can simply say:
db_exec_plsql add_record {
begin
  1 := my_proc.new_record(
  description => empty_clob()
  );
end;
}

# Set long description (use CLOB)
db_dml set_description {
update my_table set
  description = empty_clob()
where id=:id returning description into :1
} -clobs [list $description]

This way, you don't have to worry about PL/SQL's limitation of 32Kbytes for a varchar2 variable (Oracle driver takes care of that).

Thanks for the link.  I was assuming that varchars couldn't be longer than 4000 characters, and my string is around 6000 characters.  Assigning the string to a varchar and inserting it directly into the clob works.
Well, SQL varchar2 is limited to 4KBytes; PL/SQL varchar2 is limited to 32KBytes. (BTW, sorry for the small typo in my previous piece of code; it should be:
:1 := my_proc.new_record(