Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: 3.2.5 with 4.6 on same Linux/Postgres install -- delurk

Okay, thank you for the help. I finally got 4.6 running, with the help of my friend. And I believe you -- both 3.2.5 and 4.6 could be running on the same machine. I ended up just installing 4.6 over the 3.2.5 -- and I had to upgrade postgres and aolserver first. This caused some issues:

bash-2.05a$ createlang plpgsql template1
psql: FATAL 1:  cannot open /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/1262: No such file or directory
createlang: external error

/var/lib/ was where our old database was, but I echo $PATH  = /usr/local/pgsql/... hmmmm... I ended up resolving that with a reboot! So I guess some of the old db processes were running. But then I was still getting this error:

bash-2.05a$ createlang plpgsql template1
/usr/bin/psql: relocation error: /usr/bin/psql: undefined symbol: pg_encoding_to_char
createlang: external error

I think the problem was that I didn't uninstall the existing postgres files. After reading about many other very smart people who were getting the same error, we came to the same conclusion as many of them -- which was that the best thing to do is uninstall postgres and start over again.

So we figured that we'd "cowboy" it and install the latest postgres version 7.3.2 instead of OpenACS recommended 7.2.3 version of postgres -- that was a mistake. OpenACS doesn't work with the 7.3.2 version yet. We found some info on the postgres site that said "the naming convention wasn't 100% followed until version 7.3.*" So my friend was fixing things in the database to overcome some errors, one by one, but there were too many errors for him to make a patch -- and we figured out it would be easier to install 7.2.3 so we did and it worked.

Thanks all for the excellent improvements from the 3.2.5 version -- I'm really excited to use 4.6 to create some excellent sites.