Forum OpenACS Q&A: registration challenge

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Since both 3.25 and 4.6 can live together, the next thing that would be usefull is to have a single registration feature. Would this be feasable, or does the diferent database design make this impossible. I realize I can add users manualy to either instance, but it would be better not to have to bother with that. Untill 3.25 is made obsolute, because it offers the same or better fucntionality, this might be a usefull feature.A simple example, ACS 4.6 doen't offer an addressbook, so I still need 3.25 for that.
Just a thought
Cheers
Ben
Collapse
2: Re: registration challenge (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I actually looked into this months ago using the "gatekeeper" package but didn't get very far.  That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that I couldn't get seamless integration working in a couple of hours, it would be more work than that.

My playing around with it was due to a desire to keep the SDM available under the 4.x-based openacs.org, rather than require separate log-ins.

The bug tracker came along so that particular motivation's not as compelling but it would still be useful to some people, I'm sure.

Collapse
3: Re: registration challenge (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
What is the deal with address-book anyways?  Is anyone working on this?  Or has it fallen by the wayside in favor of a new module?
Collapse
4: Re: registration challenge (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
The address book in 3.x is awful and the one that was in 4.x is worse.

There is a new one in the works, but things are waiting on:

• Time
  • Internationalization
  • Time
acs-person and acs-address will be at the core, then it will be international and standards compliant. Also, look for changes to persons/parties et al in a future release (4.8?), utilizing these.
Collapse
5: Re: registration challenge (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
For whoever does the design of the new addressbook, consider looking at Apple's Addressbook application, included in OS X. It has excellent international support for about 30 different country's address formats.
Collapse
6: Re: registration challenge (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I will do that. Thanks for the link.