Forum OpenACS Development: Re: 4.6.x Documentation; Documentation formatting

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
I also prefer the current style overall - in particular, I don't like things that look like buttons that I can't click on. I do think some of your enhancements are nice. I think giving the user a few action cues with color is great if not overused. We should also check that users with color vision deficiency won't have problems with readability.

In my Windows install documents, I took a cut-and-paste approach, and it has been very useful. You can put comments in with, e.g.

# Aren't you glad you can cut-and-paste this command?
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -v -u 502 -g 501 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 & 

You could make commands and comments different colors, white and green perhaps. Of course you would still lose any inlined output and prompt information as Ola mentioned. Thanks for working on this!

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I would say that even if this is readable by people we should avoid the bright green on bright yellow since it is very likely to make peoples brains explode :)

I am a big fan of cut and paste things as well. One example of something we might consider is the oracle setup statements page that Lars did. I use it all the time...