Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS vs .NET: How is the pitch made?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Don, the license fees and security are both extremely compelling arguments, for sure, and will be used in liberal amounts during the sales engagement. From the perspective of the nontechnical administratives, I think it will be very easy to point to historical inseecurities and unreliability. This is, of course, also a very important technical argument, as engineering is evolutionary process.

However, I would really like to go in with some more exact technical arguments as to why the architecture is either intrinsically insecure or so immmature/underdeveloped that it would be foolhardy to accept it in its present state.

That is, during the technical sales engagement, it will be very hard to be a broken record saying, "look at the history, look at the history..." especially as MS is putting out new marketing/FUD about "secure and trusted computing."

MS is positioning the .NET architecture as a "revolutionary product" that will change "computing forever." (Ballmer was actually touting XML as "as big as the invention of the PC and of the Internet"). I guess what I am looking for is explanation, evidence or data that:

• How the .NET architecture fits within the context of MS architecture (which is unreliable and insecure)
  • How this is different from the OACS/Unix philosophy
  • What is good and/or bad about this?

I know these are quite open-ended questions, but I'm hoping the answers can be made vis a vis the OACS toolkit. I have developed good arguments/comparisons of OACS vs J2EE and OACS vs Zope, but don't really have one for .NET other than, "Uh, MS? I hear they are evil, but you'd have to ask George Bush about that..."

Jun, thanks for your points. Those are really helpful. I know the communities of .NET and OACS are very different, of course, but I hadn't thought of the fact that .NET extends beyond the web client/server model.

talli

I'd be happy to write up a OACS vs J2EE/.NET/Zope biznarse argument if this thread gets going.