Forum OpenACS Development: Re: 4.6.x Documentation; Documentation formatting
- How do I edit that page?
- What's the best way to get community feedback on doc work in progress? I can keep posting one-offs on my site; I can check stuff into cvs and invite people to look at them through the cvs web interface (e.g., tutorial.html. (I can never find the cvs interface without searching - could this be linked from somewhere prominent like https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/?) A third way would be for me to maintain a HEAD or pre-checkin instance of the doc package on one of my servers. I'd like to post work-in-progress as soon as it's specific enough that people can see where I'm headed, and before I've gone too far in a direction that people disagree with.
- My lists of planned work are ... mostly already detailed in this thread, actually. Here's current status:
- Add an Upgrade section (already checked in to cvs)
- Revise the Install Section to:
- Include most current docs on non-linux installs (started, needs volunteers with those platforms)
- Include a Reference Install (started; needs community feedback on what a Reference Install should be)
- Integrate all the supporting software into the flow (not started)
- Add a maintenance section (not started)
- Rearrange the Developer Documentation: (in planning)
- First, a hello world tutorial (like this but shorter)
- Second, an extended tutorial with standalone sections for each of the topics detailed above
- Third, the existing material, updated and cleaned up. The difference between the extended tutorial and the current developer's guide is that a tutorial is oriented for learning and the guide is more oriented towards reference. Where possible, I'd even like to consider moving material from the Developer's Guide to the per-package documentation.
I am not sure where the documents in progress should go. CVS probably would be a good place.
I have given you admin privilege over the documentation project page.https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/doc-project/ If you visit that page, you will see an Edit This Page link at the botton. You can add additional pages as necessary.