Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Reference Platforms and Supported Platforms

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Control files in /etc/aolserver makes sense to me, but should it be /etc/openacs instead? Files that go there include: openacs-dev.tcl, the analog config file, and the daemontools directory; anything else?

What is the clearest name for the example instance in the documentation? Current docs use either openacs-4 or birdnotes. I used openacs-dev because it goes with openacs-pre and openacs-prod, but it doesn't have much meaning by itself. Can we get new proposal/consensus for the default instance name?

Your /web directory is on its own partition; my /var directory is on its own partition. I don't see either as obviously more right, except that /var/log is pretty standard in unix. Opinions?

The 4.6 docs say that "For security and compatibility reasons [using /web for the web root and running AOLserver as the nsadmin user] is no longer recommended." What are the security and compatibility reasons, and which user should you run aolserver as now? Something doesn't feel right about putting web roots in /home/joeuser/web, at least not for production sites.