Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Outdated XML libraries?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The APM actually referenced those Tcl XML procs in one special case, to report an error. Someone missed a call.  Fortunately since our XML files don't have errors we didn't notice because the Tcl libs weren't being loaded anyway :)

Peter Marklund copied that APM code though in acs-lang for 4.7 and it of course needs to be tweaked.

Other than that they can go.  I did remove the proc that loaded them since it was commented out anyway ...

The *right* thing to do, which I did in many places to make our stuff work with old and new versions of nsxml, is to go use the xml wrapper procs in acs-tcl/tcl (just look for ns_xml and you'll find them.)  This minimizes code change at the client level when we change versions/parsers/blah/blah.

Currently it checks for old/new libxml/nsxml pairings and makes things work for the caller.  It would be nice if we could do that for tDOM too, at first - the OpenACS core makes such simplistic use of XML that I would hope there's some chance of being able to do this?

tDOM we want for 4.7 of course ... are the AOLserver/zoran folks agreed that his AOLserver module can be found in the CVS tree with other standard AOLserver modules?

If I were told that tDOM can be had with a standard AOLserver 4.0 release without having to chase it all over the net then I'd say we could forget libxml support in 4.7 altogether but 4.0 is the first time in years that we've been able to say "just use the standard AOLserver release and standard modules from their download site and you're set" and I hate to toss that out for the core packages minimal use of XML ...

I realize that more complex use of XML by heavily XML-driven packages (like SCORM) will want to use tDOM regardless, I just want to minimize the install hassle for newbies and the upgrade hassle for those with existing sites.

So does anyone know what the status of tDOM is in regard to being officially associated with AOLserver?  Will we be able to point people to AOLserver 4.0 and get them all the pieces they need for an AOLserver install?

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Don,

I've replaced all ns_xml calls in the xml_ wrapper procs with calls to tDOM and subsequently replaced all other calls to ns_xml with calls to the wrapper procs. There is no technical need to keep ns_xml around. The above mentioned outdated XML libraries can go too, as far as I can see.

I don't know about including the tDOM module with the other AOLserver modules. That is a question to be forwarded to Zoran et. al.

Please note that tDOM works will all AOLserver versions from 3.3+ad13 upwards. (Based on personal experience.) There is no reason to upgrade to AOLserver 4.0 on behalf of tDOM.

Worst case upgrade scenario would be to upgrade OpenACS, download, compile and install tDOM (from the AOLserver repository or elsewhere), replace nsxml with nstdom and restart the server.

With AOLserver 4.0 we can expect to see more and more regular Tcl packages making their way into OpenACS. Like tDOM they will be only losely tied to AOLserver (or not all) and it is to be expected that most of them will not be available from the AOLServer directory.

Wouldn't it be better to setup a resouce center/directory on OpenACS with links and instructions to the software components that (some) OpenACS packages depend upon?

/Bart