Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Outdated XML libraries?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think you misunderstand slightly ...

What we've been looking forward to is to being able to install the *core* and basic packages with a standard AOLserver release.  AOLserver 4.0 and OpenACS 4.6.1 will be the first combination that's out-of-the-box installable without having to track down ns_ modules here or elsewhere, grab our custom hacks to AOLserver, etc.

It would be nice not to lose that for 4.7.  People keep pleading with us to simplify the hoops they need to jump through in order to get a basic install working.  We want to be as newbie-friendly as possible.

For other packages that add fancy capabilities to OpenACS, sure, I have absolutely no expectation that they restrict themselves to modules that are part of the Blessed Set hosted at aolserver.com.  Among other things, folks who are getting deep enough into developing an OpenACS site that they'll be looking to use such packages should be beyond the "newbie" stage and no longer intimidated by having to jump through a couple of new hoops.

I think the best answer is to put our political weight behind getting Zoran's tDOM-based AOLserver module loaded up at aolserver.com before we release 4.7.  Maybe some of the folks who are more involved in the AOLserver community than I could enlighten us.

Thanks for doing the work to make everything call the xml wrapper procs, that's great.

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
nsfts is another module in a similar situation.  By the way, nsfts doesn't compile on Windows yet, more on that in another thread perhaps.

There are a few other modules like nsimap and nsreturnz that I would like to see moved to SourceForge, even though they aren't needed to install OpenACS.  Having the latest modules in one place keeps people from reinventing the wheel, makes installation much easier, publicizes some of the powerful plug-ins AOLserver has, and helps keep infrequently used modules like ino_chart from disappearing.  In the meantime, I think my list of AOLserver modules is currently the most comprehensive: http://empoweringminds.mle.ie/openacs/aolserver_modules

The AOLserver chat should be starting soon and I'll ask Zoran about importing nstdom - since tdom isn't hosted at SourceForge, I don't think it would help much to have nstdom hosted with AOLserver.  I'm sure there is a reasonable solution to this problem, but I don't know what it is yet.