Forum OpenACS Q&A: Anybody using inittab? Should it stay in the docs?

I propose removing inittab documentation from the install docs, leaving only the daemontools documentation for service automation.

Arguments for removing it

• It involves mucking with inittab, which is risky
  • It has very few features. It keeps the server up, period. You can't take the server down without again mucking with inittab.
  • It doesn't log
  • It's platform-specific

Arguments for leaving it in

• Daemontools requires additional steps and software install to set up
  • Some people may just prefer inittab, or are more familiar with it from previous installs, and want current documentation.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think we should document both approaches.  Plenty of old-timers like me still use inittab and documenting it doesn't really cost us anything, does it?
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

As long as the method works I think we should keep the documentation.

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
FWIW, daemontools have been causing me nothing but trouble on FreeBSD -- it would spawn multiple processes until things will grind to a [not really a halt] VERY slow motion.

While I understand that FreeBSD is not likely to be one of "reference architectures" it is definitely a "supported system", hence I'd vote for leaving inittab section.  If one wishes, daemontools can be specified as a suggested approach, though.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I had the same trouble with daemontools at first, including with the runaway processes. Like all djb software, it's very unforgiving of human operators. OTOH, it is very well suited to multiple OpenACS services on one machine, and it's easy to start and stop if it's installed exactly correctly.

The current draft walks the user through a daemontools configuration and includes a link to the inittab method, which is now documented outside of the main flow. If this isn't acceptable, please let me know.

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
I have used both inittab and straight initscripts.  There are of course dangers to initscripts; but many things are already set up that way.

Init is _Designed_ to do this stuff, and, if you're careful (or have console access to the machine in question) there's not danger in munging inittab.