Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: cheap Dell servers for next 4 days

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It was $100 more (I don't have to pay sales tax, I live in Oregon)

Yes, it was Dell, it took awhile to figure it out but the person who told me about the current low prices had told me the SCSI increment was only $100 more so I dug and dug through the site until I figured it out.

If you go to one of the main server pages and click on the 600 SC series, one path through there will land you on a page that has you check off your processor choice (P4 2.4 GHz) and disk drive type choice (IDE/SCSI/SCSI w/HW RAID)

The next page looks scary because it's in the $1K range.  But ...first you "upgrade" to the "P4 2.4 GHz at a 1.8 Celeron" ("price" is supposed to be there but the line's too long so it's truncated) "-$99"

That knock $99 off the price.

Then you knock off $348 for their cadillac three-year service option.

That gets you down to $599 - $110 discount - $100 mail-in rebate with free shipping.  $389.  Woo-hoo!

Then you add two $54 256 MB ECC DDR 2100 Registered RAM sticks from Crucial (I've never had any problem with Crucial memory though overclockers prefer Mushkin etc, I don't overclock) and Oracle and PG and everyone else runs happily ever after all on the same machine.

I'll probably add a second platter and RAID 1 the thing but Dell's add-on price for a second disk seemed high.  I have Fry's here ...

I'm going to migrate my world to this sucker and get rid of the P200, P350 and P500 systems with various 3GB, 6GB etc disks on which everything lives at present.  I'll give those away or sell them cheap.

I've been considering upgrading for about a year and being able to buy a sweet little box like this at this price sure beats scrambling for parts and building my own, not to mention there's no way I could beat the price.